Saturday, March 24, 2018

There was a little girl ...

Perhaps you know the rhyme:

"There was a little girl, who had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead; and when she was good she was very, very good, and when she was bad, she was horrid."

I think that pretty much sums up my relationship with the inter web.  It can be awful.  It can bring out the worst in others; and in me.

BUT it can also be marvellous and bring people together and lead to wonderful things.


In May I will be visiting my cousin Louise in Exmouth.  If it wasn't for a FaceBook group on the Tupman family history I wouldn't even know that I had a cousin in Exmouth.  Louise and I share the same great grandparents.  Her grandfather and mine were brothers.


Louise and me by the sea.

Like many folk interested in learning more about their family tree, I have joined Ancestry, which in itself is a double-edged sword.  I love it when I use it but I'm not sure I use it enough to merit the $300/yr charge.   But I'm hooked as I couldn't bear to close the account and loose all the easy to find information I have collected and have access to.

On the positive side I got message from a stranger (S.M.) on Ancestry regarding my Great grandmother, Elizabeth, pictured below with her husband and children. 


Elizabeth with her husband James and their young children.  My grandfather, Bertie is between them and Louise's father is one of the twins on the laps.

Tragically Elizabeth died of consumption (TB) in 1903 at the young age of 34 leaving James and the children alone.


We think this may be a photo of the three youngest after their mother's death.    Louise's grandfather is on the right.

The Ancestry message from S.M. read:

I would be very interested to see the photographs you have of James and Elizabeth Tupman. In the mid 1980s I was in Penzance, Cornwall and in an antique shop bought a framed memorial to Elizabeth Tupman (died 23 December 1903) and have recently used Ancestry to find out more about this lady. I can provide you with a photograph of this, if you wish.

Wowsa !

I immediately wrote S.M. back granting them access to my tree so they could see the photos I had of Elizabeth and James and their children.

In turn they sent me an image of the framed fretwork memorial.  Knowing that fretwork was a hobby of James, it is clear that he created the memorial.



I wrote back to S.M. thanking them profusely for making contact and sharing the image and timidly asking if I might buy the memorial and got this response:

I certainly feel that after enjoying the Elizabeth Tupman picture for a few decades it would be very fitting to pass it on to you and your family, so perhaps we can meet when you are in the UK and I can give it to you then?

WOWSA !   AGAIN !   WOWSA !   A stranger is going to give me a piece of family history !

Here's James with a large fretwork piece that he did of Aberystwyth which now hangs on the wall in my cousin's home.


When I think of dumping FaceBook I remind myself that I control the experience of where I go and who I talk to.  FB has allowed me to stay in touch with my wonderful English "rellies" (relatives) over the pond and I treasure those small smiles, nudges, winks and hearts that occasionally pop up in my feed.

And those hearts will lead me back to Bath for my beloved aunt Audrey's 90th birthday celebration.


Audrey's 80th birthday with as my dear ol' da' would say, the "whole fam damly"

I am so looking forward to being in the next group photo switching from virtual to REAL hugs and kisses.

And meeting up with a kind stranger who reached out with a special gift and hopefully treating them to a pint at a local pub.





11 comments:

  1. Great post, Sybil. Sounds like you've really had some positive ancestry connections through the internet. Hope you have a great time in England when you go there! Like you, I've had conflicting feelings about the internet, as well. About a month ago was ready to quit Facebook (again) but after three weeks of not being active over there, I'm (almost) missing the positive parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are far more disciplined than I am Kathy. I cannot imagine you ever going and trolling the "real Donald Trump" FB page ... lol

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks. It was such an amazing surprise. Can't wait for my trip.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful family tale.....wonder what else you will discover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never expected this Sally so I cannot even guess what lies ahead ...but I look forward to learning new things about my ancestors.

      Delete
  4. How exciting, Sybil! What a wonderful feeling it gives us making positive connections on Ancestry and Facebook. Like any tool, they can be used or abused. Wishing you many enjoyable experiences overseas with your cousin in May. The family pictures and fretwork craftsmanship are priceless keepsakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara. I need to curb my trollish side was I am what the alt-right calls a "libtard" and am not shy about sharing my anti Trump, anti gun feelings even when not asked ... lol

      I really do need to grow up.

      Delete
  5. Well, I learned something new today...I never knew about fretwork before. How lovely that a stranger is willing to pass on some family history to you! I am currently on the "not loving the internet" side of things and have been trying to stay off facebook. But, like you say, there are positive sides to the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya kiddo. It is up to me to choose to only visit the positive sites like my field naturalist or hiking site. No one is making me go troll the "dark side" except my own baser self.

      I must say Ancestry and FB genealogy sites has enriched my life.

      Delete
  6. I so much enjoyed re-reading this post today, Sybil. Lovely that you met up with your relatives in England!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really do love to read your comments.