Monday, March 14, 2011

How much is a dog worth ?

Many years ago (when I was flush with funds), Kaitlyn's cat Tugger got very ill.   At the vet's I was given a daunting estimate for his treatment, so I called Kait to ask what she thought the cat was worth.  Without hesitation she blurted out, "$10 more than they quoted you".  And so I paid $1,400 and brought Tugger home and he lived many more good years with us.

But I have too many animals.  I know.  I know.  You've told me that before.  You would think that by 60 I would have learned.  You would think.  And maybe I am learning but I have three dogs and Kait has two and Kait can't afford vet bills -- so basically -- I have five dogs !

I'm retired.  I am no longer "flush with funds".

Kait had to take Trey to the Metro Emergency Animal Hospital yesterday morning.  He'd ingested slivers of bone.   Blood in his poop, which by the way, was all over the house. He was miserable and clearly in pain. 

The Emergency Animal Hospital is open when all the vet offices are closed.  Nights -- Sundays.  Trey went there Sunday morning and I had to pick him up by 7:30 a.m. Monday to take him to his regular vet. 

Ready to go to his own vet.  Note the I.V. line all ready for more fluids.

So far there's been no surgery.  He's passed most of the bits save one that is 2 cm. long.  He's in pain as the bits have played havoc with his digestive system. 


Had to take his X-rays to his vet in Eastern Passage. 

The vet is offering him some food in the hope that it might help shift the blockage.

Part of the invoice from the Metro Emergency vets.

She'll be calling around 5 p.m. to tell me if he can:
  • come home, or
  • if I have to take him back to the Emergency vet for continued overnight care, or
  • if he requires surgery !

At Eastern Passage vets.

To be continued ...

4 comments:

  1. Thanks. Not done spending yet ... sigh ...

    Sybil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no Sybil! I knew you were worried about him when we were on our last walk. Poor doggie, and so cute. What can I say. Keep me posted. Ask the vet if you can wash his dishes for 10 years instead of paying the bill...it might work. Be assured, whatever it costs in Canada, you can double it here in the UK. Not mush consolation I know.

    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lynne,

    He's now back home and pretty much back to normal. Me ? I'm down around $950 !!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really do love to read your comments.